Friday, October 24, 2008

It's Greek To Me!

So we left the Salt Lake Airport at 12:01 Wednesday morning. We made it to the JFK airport where we had a 10 hour layover. We were going to go into the city, but just to get out of the airport and get on the Subway it would cost us $28 for both of us, so we just decided to stay in the airport where we slept a lot of the time. Our plane was about 1 1/2 hours late taking off. It was a long plane ride to Athens, but we made it, luggage and all. When we arrived in Athens Thursday morning, we didn't have the best experience. We took the train part way to our hotel and then got a taxi to go the rest of the way to our hotel. When we got to our hotel, which is a dump (I'll post pictures later), we were getting ready to go out and see the city, when we noticed that my wallet wasn't in my bag that I was using as my purse. Someone on the train stole my wallet. It had all my credit cards in it, about $400 in cash and my drivers license and SS card. We weren't sure how to call anywhere, but we found a phone card and had Jake's parents cancel all my cards. They were able to cancel all of them except my American Express card, which we were finally able to find a collect number to call them to cancel. At first they wanted to cancel mine and Jake's card, but we were able to finally convince them to cancel just my card so we would at least still have Jake's card. If we didn't have Jake's card we would have no money and possibly stuck in Greece for a long time. Yesterday was not fun at all. Whoever stole my wallet had already charged about $9000 worth of stuff on my cards. I'm so glad we were able to notice that they were stolen so we weren't liable for those charges! It is so hard being in a country where we don't speak a lick of the language (knowing Greek letters doesn't help at all!) More of our touring later!

3 comments:

Julie Anne said...

OH my goodness! That is aweful!!!!! I hope the rest of your trip is better!

Lance & Milisa said...

UHG!!! I hope your trip gets better! I'm so sorry you have gotten off to such a rotten start!

Marlaina said...

That is crazy! I'm glad you were able to cancel your cards! I hope you both come back safely!