Monday, January 28, 2013

Tean's Birthday Cake



This year for Tean's birthday, he wanted a dump truck cake.  I got my inspiration to do it here.  

The inside of Tean's cake isn't as cool as the one on the link (it is just plain chocolate cake) because I didn't notice it until after I had already made the cake. 

This one was really easy to make.  I got the dump trucks at the dollar store, used crushed chocolate center oreos for the road and the dirt and the candy rocks were from the bulk bins at Winco.  I used this really yummy recipe for the frosting that I got from my sister.  It is great to use when decorating cakes.  I think that the cake turned out pretty well, and Tean LOVED it.  Success!

Buttercream Frosting

1/2 c solid vegetable shortening
1/2 c butter or margarine
4 c (1 lb) sifted confectioners' sugar
2 Tbs milk
1 tsp. Witon Clear Vanilla Extract
 
Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla.  Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating on medium speed.  Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.  When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.  Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
To thicken for icing, add a small amount of light corn syrup.

No comments: